Saluting Those Who Inspire Others To Reach For Greatness
Specialized jerseys in #SheBelieves Cup salutes those who have inspired our national team players – One crazy dreamer inspires the next. #SheBelieves
#SHEBELIEVES match against England may have ended in a 2-2 draw but the game will continue to inspire for a long time.
March is Women’s History Month, and yesterday, as our U.S. Women’s National Team (USWNT) earned their second straight #SHEBELIEVES Cup draw, the players brought more to the field than their talent — the players all wore the names of those who have inspired them on the backs of their jerseys.
Saluting Women Who Inspire … Perfectly appropriate for a tournament that encourages and celebrates female soccer. of tomorrow to chase their dreams.
Millions of young and old fans look up to our women’s soccer team. These players on the USWNT are inspiring, and it is great to see them honor those who inspired them.
“I thought it was great,” USWNT coach Jill Ellis said. “It was great for them to also honor someone who potentially inspired them to be who they are today or someone they respect and honor.”
Who were these influential women? Who was picked to epitomize inspiration? The iconic women whose names were emblazed on the backs of our national team spanned the spectrum. From former teammate to box office actress, and from legendary players, judges, and writers, these are the women —Mia Hamm, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, J.K. Rowling — have inspired more than one generation. And let’s not forget about Nobel Peace Prize winner Mother Teresa who probably never walked on the pitch before, even in name only.
Here is the list:
- Abby Dahlkemper – Jennifer Lawrence (actress)
- Tierna Davidson – Sally Ride (astronaut)
- Crystal Dunn – Serena Williams (tennis player)
- Julie Ertz – Carrie Underwood (musical artist)
- Emily Fox – Elena Delle Donne (basketball player)
- Adrianna Franch – Briana Scurry (soccer player)
- Ashlyn Harris – Cardi B (musical artist)
- Tobin Heath – Doris Burke (basketball analyst)
- Rose Lavelle – J.K. Rowling (author)
- Carli Lloyd – Malala Yousafzai (female education activist)
- Jessica McDonald – Maya Angelou (poet/civil rights activist)
- Samantha Mewis – Mia Hamm (soccer player)
- Alex Morgan – Abby Wambach (soccer player)
- Alyssa Naeher – Robin Roberts (broadcaster)
- Kelley O’Hara – Heather O’Reilly (soccer player)
- Christen Press – Sojourner Truth (civil rights activist)
- Mallory Pugh – Beyonce Knowles (musical artist)
- Megan Rapinoe – Audre Lorde (writer/civil rights activist)
- Becky Sauerbrunn – Ruth Bader Ginsburg (Supreme Court justice)
- Casey Short – Katie Sowers (NFL assistant coach)
- Emily Sonnett – Tina Fey (comedian/writer)
- Andi Sullivan – Jessica Mendoza (softball player/MLB analyst)
- McCall Zerboni – Mother Teresa (nun/missionary)