Philadelphia Union vs Portland Timbers – Wide World of Sports
The Portland Timbers were victorious last night against the Union. The 2015 MLS Cup winners are hoping to lift their second major trophy on Aug. 11 vs. Minnesota United or Orlando City in the MLS is Back Tournament Final (8:30 pm ET | ESPN, ESPN Deportes in US; TSN, TVA Sports 2 in Canada).
- 13′ – POR – Jeremy Ebobisse | WATCH
- 70′ – POR – Sebastian Blanco | WATCH
- 85′ – PHI – Andrew Wooten | WATCH
Portland scored first to set the tempo and begin the dominance and energy which the Union could never gain. Philadelphia did rally twice, once just before halftime but a botched PK spoilt the attempt and at the end but it was too little too late and the Timbers breeze ahead, only one match from lifting the trophy and relishing the long-lasting badge of honor of the victory.
There was a major moment of controversy … and the question of whether or not Union’s Kacper Przybylko goal should have counted will linger on and be a subject of debate between fans. His ball would have been the dramatic late equalizer, making the score 2-2 in this all or nothing match. Was it really offside? CLICK here to watch.
Here are a few more of the great shots captured at the Philadelphia Union vs Portland Timbers semifinal at the Wide World of Sports. Great work on behalf of the photographers Jared Martinez, Matt Stith & Devin L’Amoreaux.
- THE BIG PICTURE. The Timbers, 2015 MLS Cup winners, are one match away from lifting their second piece of major silverware. That long-sought trophy for Philadelphia must wait at least a little longer, as Giovanni Savarese’s group keeps on solving all challengers.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Was he on or off? That debate will linger for Union and Timbers fans alike, as Kacper Przybylko thought he made it 2-2 as the minutes ticked away.
- YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: Sebastian Blanco got another goal, giving him three tallies and five assists in Orlando alone. He’s strengthening his Player of the Tournament presented by Adidas case.
- PHI: End of Tournament
- POR: Tuesday, Aug. 11 vs. Minnesota United or Orlando City, MLS is Back Tournament Final (8:30 pm ET | ESPN, ESPN Deportes in US; TSN, TVA Sports 2 in Canada)