I met Mark Biagi at the Manchester City Cup 2019 in San Diego when he was scouting for U.S. Soccer and it is great to see top-level coaches in soccer step up during the COVID-19 pandemic to help youth soccer players with productive and fun challenges.
Facebook is coming alive with what soccer players can do during the forced furlough of training and games because of the Coronavirus COVID-19. A great example is the newly kicked off #VirtualClubChallenge on Facebook.
Mark Biagi, the Director of Coaching for the Vail Soccer Club in Tucson, Arizona reached out to SoccerToday earlier today to share the good news … motivated to help channel every soccer players’ frustration at being away from the field, he has launched Virtual Club Challenge, an online soccer challenge.
“My inspiration in creating this event stemmed from the COVID-19 Pandemic that has been affecting our communities recently and my desire to provide opportunities for players to continue to develop their soccer skills while connecting to others around the country,” said Biagi.
“I think this is a unique opportunity for us to unite as a soccer community to bring physical activity and social connection to our children in an otherwise very stressful and isolating time.”Mark Biagi, Director of Coaching for the Vail Soccer Club – Tucson, Arizona
Working with Arizona Arsenal’s David Belfort, Biagi has already reached out to several top youth soccer clubs around the country. Clubs from Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Nevada and New Mexico have already jumped on board and more clubs are welcome to participate
Here is a list of youth soccer clubs that are participating in the launch:
- Arizona Arsenal – @AZArsenalSC
- Coronado Athletic Club – @coronadoac
- Phoenix Premier FC – @PhoenixPremier
- Vail Soccer Club – @VailSoccerClub
- MLVA – @mvlasoccerclub
- United PDX – @unitedpdx
- Capital FC Timbers – @capitalfctimbers
- Washington Rush – @WashingtonRush
- Timbers-Thorns North FC – @TimbersThornsNorth
- La Roca FC – @LaRocaFC
- Utah Arsenal FC – @UTArsenalFC
- Utah Celtic T.C. – @urcfcofficial
- Utah Rangers FC – @UtahRangersfc
- Park City SC – @parkcitysoccerclub
- Downtown Las Vegas SC – @DowntownLVSC
- San Diego Force – @SDForceFC
- New Mexico Soccer Academy – Instagram @nmsocceracademy
- Valley Resolution – @wysa.valleyrevolution
- Strikers North FB – @strikersfcnorth
If a youth soccer club wants to join in, please Private Message the Facebook page. This is a Facebook and Instagram Challenge among friendly youth soccer clubs during the COVID 19 Pandemic. Any player is welcome to participate.
Here is how the youth soccer Virtual Club Challenge Works:
The purpose of the Virtual Club Challenge is to promote community, build relationships, promote development, encourage competition, and interact virtually in a positive way through the love of soccer.
All clubs agree to work together to promote soccer within its communities by issuing various challenges over the next several weeks.
Important Details: Wear your youth soccer club gear, introduce yourself first with just your First Name, Birth Year, and Club Team.
Here is the list of Virtual Club Challenges:
- Challenge #1 – March 20-23 – Tennis ball juggling for U12 and older. U11 players can do regular juggling.
- Challenge #2 – March 24-28 – Cone dribbling and skills
- Challenge #3 – March 29 – April 2 – Balls out of the air stalls
- Challenge # 4 – April 3-6 – Toilet paper juggle
- Challenge #5 – April 7-10 – Juggling or dribbling tricks
- Challenge #6 – April 11-14- Trick shots
Virtual Club Challenge Director will collaborate with Club Directors and Celebrity Judges to create a Top 5 for each Challenge. Top 5 will be posted on media platforms. Clubs can coordinate prizes for winners.
Each club member can access the competition through their respective Facebook and Instagram. Please use the following link(s) for access.
Facebook : @virtualclubchallenge
Instagram : #virtualclubchallenge
Virtual Club Challenge Director will collaborate with the youth soccer club directors and create a Top 5 for each Challenge. The Top 5 players will have their videos be posted on our media platforms and on SoccerToday’s. Clubs will coordinate prizes for winners.
UPDATE: Two players who submitted videos will be chosen to each receive a special gift package from SKLZ. Valued at $250, the items may not be shipped until after the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic is over.