Amy Dirks on Nutrient Timing for Sports
Nutrition information for soccer players from Amy Dirks. Discover what makes this column so different: Read Meet SoccerToday’s Nutritionist Amy Dirks – Great Info for Soccer Players of All Ages
Soccer players of all ages are always looking for nutrition advice and valuable tips for what to eat for peak performance. Here is Amy Dirks’ latest column on Going Nuts for Nuts. Have a nutrition question? Ask Amy! Just email us your question and we will see if we can answer it in an upcoming article on great nutrition ideas for soccer players!
NUTRITION FOR SOCCER PLAYERS: Soccer Players’ Pre-Game Meal
Pre-Game Meal: This meal should be your largest of the day and should include plenty of carbs, a decent amount of protein, and a little healthy fat (ghee, oils/dressings, avocados).
… if the soccer game is late in the day, you need a real meal.
Examples of great pre-game meals for soccer players could be…
- Grilled chicken (4-5 oz.), baked sweet potato/regular potato, ~1 cup roasted vegetables
- Grilled fish (checkbook size), steamed brown rice (1 cup or 1-2 fists), ~ 1 cup roasted vegetables
- Baked salmon, quinoa (1 cup or 1-2 fists), spinach side salad, ¾ cup pineapple
- Rosemary lime chicken with sweet potato fries and kale salad
- Taco bowl with ground chicken, spices, corn, lettuce/veggies, and brown rice
- Baked potato (sweet potato) loaded with chicken, steamed veggies, avocado
- Sweet potato hash (sweet potato, veggies/onions, fried or poached eggs)
… if the soccer game is early in the day, here are some breakfast friendly suggestions:
- Oatmeal (1-2 cups), toppings of choice (nuts, dried fruit, flax, almond milk, cinnamon), fruit salad (1 cup), 4 oz. OJ
- Egg omelet or frittata with veggies (spinach, onions/mushrooms, sweet potatoes/potatoes in omelet/frittata or on the side), side of melons (1 cup) or berries
- Granola with almond milk & banana/berries or Greek yogurt w/ granola & berries (try plain greek and add almond butter and honey or maple syrup)
- Nutty Fruit & Cream; strawberries/blueberries in a cereal bowl topped with raisins and almonds; pour almond milk over top and eat like cereal
For more complete information, please check out Amy Dirks: NUTRITION FOR SOCCER PLAYERS: WHAT TO EAT WHEN