NWSL Players Headline Canada Celebration Match
Canada’s Women’s National Team will welcome a range of NWSL players as they prepare for the Bronze Medal Celebration Match this weekend in Vancouver. The match will be the first time Canada has played at home since winning third place during the world cup in 2015.
Soccer News: The Canada Women’s National Team roster has been announced ahead of its two international friendly matches scheduled against Mexico in the Bronze Medal Celebration Match on February 4th at BC Place and a closed-door match on February 7th.
The Bronze Medal Celebration Match will be the first time the Canada WNT has played at home since capturing its historic back-to-back bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics. The game feature members of the Olympic squad, including retiring players Melissa Tancredi, Rhian Wilkinson, and Marie-Eve Nault in their final home game for Canada.
The celebration match will also include a presentation to the team prior to the match, and recognition for the retiring players from the 2016 and 2012 Bronze Medal winning teams.
“Canadians are going to have the opportunity to be part of our homecoming celebration, which is really special for us as a team,” said head coach John Herdman. “This match is really a celebration of the team that captured Bronze in Rio, an achievement that was made possible partly by the commitment and grit of the three players who will be making their final appearances at home for Canada on Saturday. To be able to send them off in this way is remarkable, and something we will cherish,” said Herdman.
The roster for Canada Soccer’s Women’s National Team training camp and friendly matches include 19 of the 21 players who traveled to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, and adds seven rising stars to Canada’s line up.
Defenders Kadeisha Buchanan and Ashley Lawrence are unavailable for the match due to professional team commitments in France. The roster also bolsters a strong presence of National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) players as 11 individuals gear up for a busy week.
NWSL Players Selected to Canada WNT Roster:
- Lindsay Agnew, age 21, from Kingston, ON/ Washington Spirit (NWSL)
- Janine Beckie, age 22, from Highlands Ranch, CO/ Houston Dash (NWSL)
- Allysha Chapman, age 28, from Courtice, ON/ Boston Breakers (NWSL)
- Sabrina D’Angelo, age 23, from Welland, ON/ North Carolina Courage (NWSL)
- Stephanie Labbé, age 30, from Edmonton, AB/ Washington Spirit (NWSL)
- Diana Matheson, age 32, from Oakville, ON/ Seattle Reign (NWSL)
- Nichelle Prince, age 21, from Ajax, ON/ Houston Dash (NWSL)
- Desiree Scott, age 29, from Winnipeg, MB/ FC Kansas City (NWSL)
- Kailen Sheridan, age 21, from Whitby, ON/ Sky Blue FC (NWSL)
- Christine Sinclair, age 33, from Burnaby, BC/ Portland Thorns FC (NWSL)
- Shelina Zadorsky, age 23, from London, ON/ Washington Spirit (NWSL)